What Doctor Is Best To See For Plantar Fasciitis?


Your general practitioner will be the first doctor you see if you suspect you have plantar fasciitis. Your doctor will examine your foot and heel while taking into account the symptoms you’re having.

He’ll look for signs of plantar fasciitis, such as a high arch, increased tenderness around the heel bone, and worsened discomfort when flexing the plantar fascia in specific ways.


What Kind of Doctor for Plantar Fasciitis?


  • General Practitioner – If you decide that seeing a doctor to treat your plantar fasciitis is the best course of action, your general practitioner is a great place to start. Since plantar fasciitis is such a common ailment, most general practitioners are well-versed in it and can help you coordinate with a doctor or determine alternative treatment options.
  • Sports Medicine Specialist – Anyone with plantar fasciitis caused by a specialized exercise such as running, soccer, or football should consult a sports medicine specialist. Not only will this specialist be able to assist you with additional treatment options, but he or she will also be able to make clear suggestions for getting back into the swing of things with your training routine.
  • Podiatric Specialist or Foot Doctor – Podiatric doctors are experts in the muscles, joints, tissues, and bones of the feet. There’s a reason they’re known as “foot doctors”! Your general practitioner is likely to refer you to a podiatry specialist if your condition is severe or does not respond to treatment.
  • Orthopedic Specialist – If your plantar fasciitis is serious or there are other underlying problems with your joints and tissues, an orthopedic surgeon will be able to provide useful insight into treatment options. Although orthopedic specialists specialize in dealing with the joints and tissues of the body as a whole, they also deal with foot-related issues.


Home Remedies


Plantar fasciitis can be relieved and healed with stretches and exercises that strengthen the leg and foot muscles. Foot flexes, calf rolls, curling a towel between the toes, and picking up marbles with the toes are among the exercises.

Resting the foot, icing it, compressing it with a bandage, and elevating it on cushions or a low stool can all help. Pain and swelling can be reduced with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Foot massage can also help relieve foot pain for some people.

It will take some time for you to recover. An individual may be able to walk normally without pain after a week or two of rest and home remedies. Plantar fasciitis usually heals fully within a year for the majority of people.




Things to Remember:


Keep in mind that seeing a specialist may require preauthorization from your insurance company. Begin by consulting with a reputable general practitioner. He or she will be able to give you a good referral and place you in good hands. If you ever feel rushed to make a decision, or if you think a certain course of treatment (surgery or steroids, for example) isn’t right for you because of the possible side effects and complications, note that you’re your own best advocate when it comes to your wellbeing. Make your own investigation and don’t be afraid to get a second opinion.

While most cases of plantar fasciitis can be handled effectively and easily at home without medical intervention, understanding your medical care options is essential and can be a crucial step toward recovery. To get back on your feet, carefully track your symptoms, try at-home remedies, and then seek medical attention if symptoms don’t change.



Are You Looking for a Sports Medicine Physician to Treat Your Plantar Fasciitis?

As you know, the plantar fascia is a thick band of tissue that runs across the bottom of the foot and connects your heel bone to your toes.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of this tissue, which can cause a stabbing pain usually felt at the heel.  Dr. Chen sees patients with plantar fasciitis at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital Center for Sports Medicine in Walnut Creek, California. He is a board-certified Pediatrician and Sports Medicine Doctor that specializes in the non-operative medical treatment of a wide variety of various musculoskeletal conditions.  Dr. Chen graduated from St. George’s University School of Medicine and went on to complete Pediatric residency training at the University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey (Rutgers), then went on to fellowship training in Sports Medicine at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, one of the perennially top-ranked children’s hospitals in the nation. There he provided sideline coverage for NCAA Division I athletics at the University of Cincinnati and Miami University (OH). Being a part of The Center for Sports Medicine allows Dr. Chen quick access to a multidisciplinary team of orthopedic surgeons, podiatrists, physiatrists, and physical therapists to return you to your highest functional level quickly and safely. Click here to contact us for your next appointment!



Previous Page                  HOME                             Next Page